Finch, William Coles, In Kentish Pilgrim Land (London: CW Daniel Co., 1925)p.44
Transcribed by G. Lamb, for the HRGS.
A site of ancient occupation was discovered in June, 1921, quite close to St. Peter's Church, Bredhurst, at an altitude of four hundred and fifty feet, in a small copse.
Adjoining the pathway at the southern corner of the churchyard wall, and only some thirty yards due south of the corner, was a well said to be five hundred feet deep. While clearing the wood around it for agricultural purposes, a considerable area of ancient foundations was laid bare. These well nigh broke the spirit of the new owner, for the massive walls were erected upon a foundation of large sarsen stones set in mortar! These, and hundreds of large tree stumps were hurled into the well, which was thus finally filled. Some one hundred and fifty yards of flints from the walls were laid on one side to await removal for road repairs. Of the portion cleared and prepared for farming, some quarter of an acre was almost solid with broken tiles, a hopeless outlook for a crop! In the uncleared wood, beneath the stumps of large trees hundreds of years old, were tiles, bricks of ancient make, and moss covered indications of further flint foundations of a place of strength. a little broken Roman pottery was found, and had careful systematic operations been carried out, discoveries of interest and importance might have resulted. Perhaps the remains were part of the old Saxon wall that surrounded the ancient Bredhurst, the old village in the 'broad wood,' which still appears on the Ordnance Survey Sheet as 'Bredhurst Hurst.' Possibly these remains werer th efoundations fo a Roman encampment or watch-tower, similar to Goddard's Tower at Thornham. Probably ere this sees type every vestige will have disappeared, save perhaps a field of turnips, where formerly tiles, bricks and flints predominated.