The Heritage Hub and Exhibition
The Heritage Hub is the home of the Historical Research Group of Sittingbourne, and is open for enquiries and research relating to Sittingbourne and surrounding parishes. It is wheelchair and child friendly.
Displays change regularly and are often based on members current topics of research and include themed exhibitions such as
- Archaeological finds
- World War 1 and the local fallen men
- Heritage and local history.
Currently the exhibition space includes
- A replica World War 1 trench, providing a backdrop for the touch screen showcasing local WW1 research including the names and histories of over 1000 men that lived or were connected to the local area and that died during the war. There is a digital Roll of Honour of local men who fought in the First World War, funded by the HLF’s ‘Then & Now‘ programme. The hi-tech touch screen contains hundreds of names and images. Visitors are able to view, share, and preserve their family’s memories and heritage of the First World War, and the people who lived through it. If you have family or local photos, or you think your family name might be on the touch screen, please pop in and see us.
- An exhibition of the Rose Hill excavation by the Archaeological Field Unit of HRGS. This was a Hidden Histories Community dig undertaken in June 2015 and a Young Roots project in 2016. Rose Hill House at The Grove, is an on-going project of a Georgian house that once stood on the hill over-looking the A2. Pop in and see our touch screen and find out about the ruins in the wood; and see if you can follow the self-guided walk to the find the mysterious house in the woods.
- There are also artefacts we make available to the public that can be handled to encourage all ages to be involved in Archaeology.
We are also proud to be part of the Wheels of Time programme – encouraging familes to visit Kent’s Heritage.
The Hub is open for enquires, and has a small selection of local history, archaeological and WW1 related books for sale.
Copies of the HRGS’s magazine ‘The Archive’ can be purchased here.
- Opening Times: Tuesday-Saturday, 10am-4pm
- Free entry
Heritage Hub, Unit 17, The Forum, Sittingbourne, ME10 3DL