This event is being organised 100 years and 1 day after the official signing of the Treaty of Versailles. 100 years ago the people celebrated peace and the end of the First World War, and we would like to mark this occasion by having a parade along Sittingbourne High Street.
If you would like to join us in any way, we would love to hear from you. All those taking part will receive a Peace Commemoration pin badge.
Please register via Eventbrite your interest.
The event will include:
* Approx 40 banners carried by two people. Each banner with the names of men from each parish/church + plus extras from town memorials AND those not on any local memorial, who were born, lived, schooled or died of that parish.
* Individual names/photos carried by any relatives who are able to take part, or researcher who wishes to remember that name.
* Re-enactors as nurses and wounded – as they did in the 1919 procession
* Re-enactors as WW1 soldiers
* Representatives of Red Cross / St John’s Ambulance Brigade / Scouts / Cadets etc
* Marching bands
* Children carrying flags and placards giving all names of the main countries that were Allies during the war (22 in the 1919 procession):
England / Scotland / Wales / Ireland / France / Belgium / Italy / Russia / Nepal / Portugal / United States / Canada / Australia / New Zealand / India / South Africa / Greece / Serbia / Romania (all had 20,000+ casualties)